Students with Disabilities
Most colleges have an office of Student Disabilities Services. Be sure to contact the disabilities services office to see exactly what kind of support and accommodations they provide.
Questions to ask Student Disabilities Services
- How do I become active in the office? Are there any documents or forms that must be filled out to use the office and its services?
- What testing accommodations are available?
- How do I get permission from professors to use testing accommodations?
- What kinds of tutoring programs and other academic support is available on campus?
- How can I become connected with other students in my situation? What kind of mentor support is available?
- What kind of assistive technology is available?
- What specific programs are offered at your university to accommodate your needs?
- How physically accessible is your campus? Does it meet your own personal standards accessibility?
For online resources, check out these links:
- Checklist for evaluating college
- National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD)
- Overview of College Resources for Students with Disabilities