Frankel-Adair Scholarship for LGBT Students
The Frankel-Adair scholarship provides $1,500 in support of post-secondary education to an LGBT student residing in the Greater Philadelphia area. The scholarship honors the late Larry Frankel, former executive and legislative director of the ACLU-PA, and the benefactor, Thomas T. Adair.
According to the terms of the bequest, the Frankel-Adair Scholarship Fund “shall be used for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students to enable or assist them to obtain post-secondary education of any type (college, technical, art, vocational or other education training programs) for students who reside in the Greater Philadelphia area.”
The Frankel-Adair Scholarship was designed with the goal of maximum inclusiveness: it is open to students studying part-time as well as full-time; it is available to students pursuing any post-secondary degree or certification program, and is not restricted to a four-year undergraduate or graduate degree-granting program; there are no limitations on the specific age of the recipient.
- identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender;
- come from the greater Philadelphia area – encompassing Philadelphia, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester, and Bucks counties – and study, or plan to study in the area. (Note: applicants not originally from the greater Philadelphia area, but studying or planning to study here are eligible to apply, but preference will be given to applicants who are both from the area and studying here);
- must be pursuing post-secondary education (may be enrolled or enrolling as a full-time or part-time student).
To apply, please submit:
- A cover document that includes the following:
◊ E-mail address
◊ Home address:
◊ Do you identify as gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender?
◊ Are you currently enrolled in a post-secondary educational program? (yes, no, part-time)
◊ If you are the recipient, may we use your name in the publicity surrounding this award? If yes, what are your preferred pronouns?
◊ If you are the recipient, will you be willing to attend events surrounding this award?
◊ Please list the names and contact information of the two (2) people whom you have asked to write a letter of recommendation for you (see below):
- Verification of your enrollment in a degree-granting or certification program at the start of the semester.
- A document or resume that includes all the following information:
- Full name, address, phone number and e-mail address (if available).
- Educational history – including all high school and post-secondary schools
- Work experience (paid or volunteer)
- Extracurricular activities and community service
- Special skills, language, and any other information you would like us to know
- Most recent official transcript (high school, college or program-related)
- Personal essay of up to 1,000 words describing your experience, outlook or goals, and how the Frankel –Adair Scholarship would help
- Short paragraph explaining how this award would affect you financially
- Two (2) recommendations. (See Recommendation Form below)
- Recommendation for Frankel-Adair Scholarship (70 KB pdf)
All materials (except letters of recommendation) should be assembled and sent as one complete application document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should be your full name and “Frankel-Adair Application.”
Applications will be accepted from March 1, 2016 – April 30, 2016.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 215-592-1513.